7.05.2009

More birthdays...

Over the weekend we celebrated two more birthdays--the United States of America's and my little brother! Daniel turned sixteen the same day our country turned...like, three hundred and something? I can write and I can cook but apparently I can't count. I have a headache just trying to do that subtraction.

And we had another dinner party with Laura and Tony! Too much food, per usual, but it was all so gooood. I indulged in more of that delicious Amsterdam (I found out what it's called!) cheese, which I discovered was an aged gouda and not related to swiss or comte, like I'd thought.

Daniel ate an entire triangle of brie and probably half his body weight in ribs. I loved the sweet and spicy corn Laura made, and I have to say that my dad did a pretty great job on his ceviche. I also brought along a cold green bean salad.

Green Bean Salad with Walnuts and Cherry Tomatoes
  • One or two pounds yellow and green beans, french or wax (I like to mix)
  • One small red onion
  • 1 basket cherry tomatoes (or more, if you prefer)
  • For dressing: 1/2 tsp whole grain mustard, olive oil and red vinegar to taste, minced oregano and basil to taste, salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mince onion and combine with dressing ingredients. Whisk until smooth. Clean and halve cherry tomatoes, and toss with dressing to coat. Set aside.

Clean, chop, and steam green beans. Add salt and pepper before cooking to get extra seasoning. I cheated and used the microwave. They turned out perfect.

The salad should be served warm or at room temperature. The important thing is to wait to add the dressing until just before serving, or the vinegar in the dressing will cause the beans to discolor. Add walnuts and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment