7.06.2009

Pot Luck

It's my birthday on Thursday! Last week my coworkers threw me a "taco bar" pot luck (and grandma's jam was totally out of place in a totally awesome and typical KMO way). But the real star of the party was a vegetarian taco meat that my friend Catherine made.

Oh. My. God.

It is silky, creamy, spicy and everything you want next to a pile of steamy cheese and cripsy, salty chips. Of course on my plate, it was more the topping of a taco salad--with more avocado than lettuce, again, typical.

Anyway, everybody begged her for the recipe and I am proud to present Catherine's Taco Veggie "Meat" with black beans and cumin. Even the carnivores wolfed it down.
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • Olive Oil
  • Cumin, to taste (I would guess at least one tbs, but start with a little if you aren't sure)
  • 1 package "Smart Ground" Taco/Burrito Meatless Veggie Protein Crumbles
  • 1 can whole black beans
  • Taco sauce or Cholula, to taste (at least 1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • Optional: 1 can of corn for color and sweetness

Chop onion and sautee with cumin in olive oil until slightly caramelized. Add garlic and sautee a few minutes before adding Smart Ground and beans (and corn). Allow to cook for 6-7, or longer if needed. Add sauce near the end of cooking. Garnish with chopped cilantro.

Here is a link to the Light Life website, if you are curious about the Smart Ground. The chili is delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment